Each of us has aged another month or two since I last checked in, moving us closer to the ‘age of concern’ for infectious vulnerability, for those that are not already well into that particular situation.
Those who are not yet retired onto pensions and Social Security, including myself, and whose income has been crippled by unemployment and devaluation of savings and investments will be struggling to justify spending money for a reunion trip at at time when family and self-survival may be a much higher priority.
What does it mean? I fear the prudent course of action is to cancel or at least postpone REGROUPEX 20 until later in the year, perhaps late fall or later. While I am confident that each of us would rise to the challenge and create a reunion we would all be proud of and grateful for, a few weeks ago I promised you that I would not hazard the reunion on account of the current crisis.
But I’m afraid that if we continue on this course, many shipmates, either from fear of infection, lack of funds, or a confusing ‘stay-at-home’ environment, will decline or not be able to attend REGROUPEX 20, and I don’t want to see us put all our resources and energy into a reunion when many can’t participate.
It is my intent, in three days, on the 22nd of April, to announce that REGROUPEX 20 is cancelled, or at least rescheduled to later in the year. I’m telegraphing my intentions to allow you to comment and perhaps create some coherent arguments as to why we should continue on schedule. This is your time to change my mind, or help reinforce it.
I look forward to hearing from you.
I will make an official announcement on Wednesday, April 22nd.